April 17, 2011

Musings and Memories (Amy)

So, do you want to know what I did on Saturday night?!?! I did something that always sends me through an emotional roller coaster and something I haven't done in well over a year. I have a BIG binder of letters that Steve (my husband) and I wrote to each other while he was in boot camp and on both of his deployments. (one to Afghanistan and one to Iraq) Tonight, as I was putting down my book for book club (Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand), I couldn't resist picking up our book and scanning through it. Most of the letters I read tonight were from his deployment to Afghanistan. We were newlyweds during that deployment and I was pregnant with Malia who I actually gave birth to while he was still deployed. Tonight as I read through the letters, I laughed at the silly stories he told me about his platoon and was captivated by the way he described the fire fights he experienced and the long hours they worked. I also read through  the letters that I wrote to him as a grumpy pregnant woman in the late spring heat of VA...those spring days honestly felt like the hottest day in August! I also wrote to him about the birth of our daughter and the early stages of my mommy-hood adventures. My mind is racing with memories that haven't been brought to my attention for quite some time. Tomorrow, Steve will be honorably discharged from the Marine Corp. I am amazed at all of  the things he has been through since these letters began. I am also realizing all of  the ways those experiences have changed us both. In a way these memories make me feel old. I know that I am not old but the life lived in those letters seems to have happened years and years ago. Someone once told me I should write a book about my life and who knows, maybe one day I will. I already have a large chapter of it documented through these precious letters. For now I am off to bed with my memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment