May 28, 2011

But I Don't Want To Work Out... (Stacy)

This was me today before I went out for a morning run. If I am being honest with you, I was really just stalling because I absolutely did not feel like running this morning. I had an entire list of excuses ready to go and almost talked myself out of running. I was tired, hungry, stressed, sore and frustrated. Plus, my Garmin is broke, my stomach was upset, my knees are swollen and my favorite running shorts were in the wash. Talk about having a LOT of reasons to bail on a run. All I wanted to do was crawl back into bed, pull the covers over my head and sleep until tomorrow. However, in the back of my mind I knew that a run was just what my body needed to shake me out of this funk. I pulled on my running shoes, grabbed a sip of water and ran out the door before I had time to change my mind. When I walked back through the door about an hour later, I felt like a new person. Sure, I was thirsty and hungry and my knees still hurt but I felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders and I had a smile on my face.

As an athlete, I am usually very good about getting in my workouts every day. I love the gym and running and moving my body. However, we all have those days when we have simply lost our motivation and drive. A friend of mine was recently asking me about training for a marathon and my thoughts on her ability to complete one. As I listened to her describe her hatred for running and her skepticism that she was capable of actually accomplishing this goal, I thought about how often I hear those same thoughts racing through my head. Sure, I have completed plenty of marathons. I have qualified for Boston even. Yes, I am an Ironman.  I work out at least two times a day and sometimes more. I always push myself to the extreme and sometimes to the point of injury. There is no doubt in my mind that it was stupid to finish a marathon with a foot full of stress fractures. No, I don't fuel myself properly. I worry all the time that I am getting slower and losing my fitness. I obsess about miles and plan workouts months in advance. I realize all of these things about myself and even with my passion and obsession for exercise, I still have plenty of days where it takes everything I have inside of me to put on my running shoes and get started on my workout. I am starting to realize that this is normal. We all fight those voices in our head. We all lose our motivation every once in awhile. We have those days when we are just in a funk and want to sit on the couch, eat ice cream and allow ourselves to be lazy. Want to hear a little secret? Are you sure? Okay...but don't freak out when I tell you this...working out, running, exercising, being fit or whatever you want to call it IS NOT EASY! Not by a long shot! It isn't easy for anyone. Trust me, if it was easy then everyone would be doing it. Here is the deal though, it is worth it! Every tough workout, every struggle, every time you have to talk yourself into pushing just a little bit farther...it is all worth it! You are shaping so much more than a six pack when you put on your big girl panties and just go out there and do it! You are building character and confidence and learning just how awesome you really are. Because you are! Really...you are awesome!

I told my friend that I sincerely believe she is capable of completing a marathon but I also told her to not give up when it hurts...because it will and it does and the sooner we admit that to ourselves, the better off we will be. However, the awesome feeling of accomplishment when we realize that we can do something that we previously thought was impossible, makes all of the pain simply disappear. Go be awesome today! I know you can!

1 comment:

  1. Truer words were never spoken... thanks for the encouragement and kick in the pants!!!

    Your PB fan!!!

    ReplyDelete