May 10, 2011

The Diary Of A Divorce ( Stacy)

The process of a divorce has so many steps and requires each person to make a ton of important decisions. When I first started pursuing a divorce, my attorney asked me if I was planning on changing my name back to my maiden name. At that point, my name was really the last thing on my mind. In the midst of all the chaos and emotional frustration, I really didn't care at all what my name was. I decided at that moment to not change my name because, to be quite honest, changing your name is a huge pain! I hated the entire process of changing my name after I was married. It required so many phone calls and so much paperwork...it was just SO annoying. It never really occurred to me that people would find it strange that I am keeping my married name but so far everyone who finds out, looks at me like I have two heads. I really don't understand what the big deal is!! I have been Stacy Renee Lane for almost 7 years now and the name has sort of grown on me. I don't want to change my name. Really...what is the big deal? Am I missing something here? Let me know what you think. I am really curious to hear other opinions on this.

8 comments:

  1. I actually know a couple of people who have kept their married name after a divorce... I wouldn't say it's weird, but it's totally a personal decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a connection to that person and I would want to disassociate myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see how it would be a total pain changing back to your maiden name. My mom kept her married name after her divorce. I guess she had the added complication of not wanting to have a different name from her kids. But I can understand why you'd keep it. I agree that it's a personal decision, and can see why people would choose both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still deciding that one too. I have no problem keeping my married name. It's a regular name and my husband is a good guy - just gay. But I like my maiden name too. It's slightly more original and since there aren't any boys in my family I would be the last one. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep whatever name you want, and screw others who judge or try to get involved in your decisions/life because they don't have anything better to do in their own lives. You can always change your name in the future, especially when you find a wonderful man you want to marry and take his name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. seo took my words. seems like your busy enough, when i propose and you accept, change it;)

    ReplyDelete