May 27, 2011

Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow - (Mel)

I have the awful habit of hanging onto running shoes way past their prime. It seems as if I get a pair broken in and then I can’t imagine having to start over with a brand new pair of shoes...no matter how soft and cushy the new pair may be. This may be why I have dealt with IT band issues in the past and also why I have a closet full of old running shoes. Recently, on our trip to New York, Stacy came up with a brilliant idea that we should take a pair of old shoes to run in and then toss them. This way we wouldn't have to lug around heavy shoes all day. So I looked in my closet and picked the oldest pair I could find. Unfortunately the oldest pair also happened to be my favorite pair of pink Asics with an awesome design. Somehow I managed to pack them and when the moment came, I took a deep breath, pushed them deep into the trash can and said good bye.
I felt as if I was abandoning an old friend. We had been through many tough miles together and here I was leaving them in the locker room trash can in the middle of Manhattan! What was I thinking!?! But all good things must come to an end. Those shoes had been great but perhaps the next ones will be even better. Do any of you have things like this that you are sentimental about? I would love to know that I am not alone and completely out on a limb on this one. Also, seeing as I am now in the market for a new pair of shoes, any shoe recommendations would be great!

2 comments:

  1. I love Ascis too! I've used my old shoes for yard work and gardening and still won't get rid of them so I know exactly how hard it is to say good-by to such an old friend. Still having a closet full of old shoes doesn't leave much room for the new ones and the closet can start to smell like an old gym locker. New Balance, and Saucony have also been good for me.
    JSV PB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooopps or should I say have worked well for me :)

    JSV PB

    ReplyDelete